If you are starting out with your business, chances are very high that there are many advisors. One common (and cliched) advise is this…
“Have a good presence on social media.
Focus on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and everything else out there…”
Believe me. If you focus on everything, things won’t work out. Here is my advise (another one) to you:
- Create your Brand Presence in all popular Social Media – Use a service like NameChk to check if your business name is available in the popular networks. As of this writing, you should cover at least this minimum – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Quora, Instagram
- Choose the Social Media that is suitable for your Business – If your business is around Photography, choose Instagram and Facebook as your primary channels. If you are a career coach, you should have an extra emphasis on LinkedIn. Make your homework and identify networks that can help your business. Set them as your Primary Targets!
- Use the 80/20 Rule – 80% of your Social Media campaigns and efforts should focus on the 20% of the networks you chose for the business
Trying to conquer every social media channel has 2 problems:
- It drains away your time with no returns
- You put forth the content in front of people who don’t need it
So next time someone gives you this advise, you know what to say!